Home Recycling Guide
Recycling Guide Print



Single-Stream Recycling


You can put all plastics, glass, paper materials, and cardboard into the same recycle bin. Cardboard MUST be flattened to be collected and no trash in the cardboard.


Acceptable Items Unacceptable Items


     - Standard Boxes, Pizza Boxes,         Food Boxes, Packaging Boxes

     - These items may be recycled          as long as they are not soiled            with food or other residue.



     - Newspapers, Magazines,                  Office Paper, Shredded paint            (must be contained in a bag)


Plastic Containers & Bottles

     - Plastics containers #1-7


Metal & Aluminum

     - Aluminum Cans, Steel Cans            and Food Containers, Empty            Aerosol Cans, Empty paint               cans, paint cans with dried paint       should go in the trash.



     - Shelf-stable cartons

     - Refrigerated cartons



     - Food & Beverage Glass Only

     - Clear, Brown, Blue and Green



Food- Soiled Materials


Broken Glass

Drinking Glasses

Scrap Metal

Plastic Bags (Including Grocery Bags)

Solvents, Oil and/or Chemical Containers

Waxy Cardboard

Used Paper Towels or Tissues


Needles and Medical Waste

Windows, Mirrors, Ceramics

Aluminum Foil

Plastic Food Wrappers

Christmas Lights

Propane Tanks


Prepare Paper/Cardboard:

1. Remove all packaging (styrofoam, peanuts, plastic, bubble wrap, plastic liners, etc.).

2. Flatten ALL boxes.

3. Cover loose paper with heavier containers to prevent it from blowing away.

Prepare Plastic and Metal:

1. Remove caps/lids.

2. Rinse thoroughly.

3. It is okay to leave on labels & neck rings.

Beginning 1/24/13 PA passed a law called the Covered Devices Recycling Act.

This prohibits residents from disposing of covered devices as trash. (Which means, your trash

man is not allowed to take these items curbside) Covered devices include desktop computers, laptops, monitors, computer peripherals (keyboard, mouse, printer and speakers),

televisions, and e-readers that browse the internet.  They DO NOT include cell phones, motor vehicle componenets, appliance components or items such as handheld calculators,

PDSs, MP3 players or similar devices.

As a resident of Lancaster County you can dispose of these items at the Lancaster County Solid Waste Management Authority's Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility,

located at 1299 Harrisburg Pike in Lancaster. The HHW Facility will accept a maximum of 10 units per visit, per day from Lancater county residents and businesses. Visit

www.lcswma.org to learn more.

It seems like the cost of everything keeps going up.  By recycling you can do your part to help keep trash costs down.




717-684-3147              100 Deacenti Dr.  Columbia, PA 17512